New Tire Model

Vehicle physics, suspension, tires etc

Re: New Tire Model

Postby Kahn62 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Eugene Cojocar wrote:Yes, the slipstream is in my to do list as a very important component of the aerodynamics model.

Cool,Eugene. I look forward to it.
Kahn62

Postby Chronus » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:35 pm

Eugene Cojocar wrote:
I didn't even know that Beckman worked on FM3. Thanks for the info. I read his book "The Physics of Racing" long ago.

XMR physics engine works at 600 Hz when it does the calculations for cars with default settings.
In the Ultimate version with the double precision simulation the frequency is increased to get exact outcome.

Beckman didn't "work on FM3", but he authored the tire model Microsoft/Turn10 used for FM3 (and also FM4, with, go figure why, some changes by people other than Dr. Beckman).

---

Thank you for answering the tick rate question.

600 Hz is a very good tick rate! NetKar Pro ran its tires at around 360 Hz, and ISIMotor2 (rFactor, GTR2, Race07) was around 400Hz (if the user enabled the more complex model in the plr file).

You stated 600 Hz for default settings (by this I suppose you mean the phs file settings?).

So, modded cars (authored by others, not you) will run at a lower tick rate? What about cars (by you) with altered settings?
Chronus

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:53 am

Chronus wrote:Beckman didn't "work on FM3", but he authored the tire model Microsoft/Turn10 used for FM3 (and also FM4, with, go figure why, some changes by people other than Dr. Beckman).

---

Thank you for answering the tick rate question.

600 Hz is a very good tick rate! NetKar Pro ran its tires at around 360 Hz, and ISIMotor2 (rFactor, GTR2, Race07) was around 400Hz (if the user enabled the more complex model in the plr file).

You stated 600 Hz for default settings (by this I suppose you mean the phs file settings?).

So, modded cars (authored by others, not you) will run at a lower tick rate? What about cars (by you) with altered settings?

No, all cars run at the same frequency. You can increase or decrease physics accuracy in the game menu->Options->Physics->SIMULATION ACCURACY. This setting influences on the physics simulation and freq to all cars at once.

I tried lower frequency also but didn't like the result so I had to increase the frequency and precision.
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

Postby Chronus » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:37 am

Eugene Cojocar wrote:No, all cars run at the same frequency. [...]

I tried lower frequency also but didn't like the result so I had to increase the frequency and precision.

Good to know.

And good decision, also. As your engine deals with 3D object detection as opposed to 2D, it's probably best to run higher frequencies.

Again, thank you for the answers.
Chronus

Previous

Return to Physics