First Oculus Rift Test

General discussion, news and update announcements

First Oculus Rift Test

Postby SilverTrimm » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:58 pm

Hello -

I have started working with XMR and the Oculus rift. Currently using TriDef I was able to load the game up in the correct resolution and get into a game. While I can see the direct NEED for support by XMR; I think I can make some headway in this overtime.

First of all. The game ran like shit. 5fps if that. I don't know if some of my settings were wrong or if TriDef was having a problem. Going to buy vorpx and give it another shot using the same set up.

Second. The eyes seemed to be crossed or not crossed. What ever it was I was unable to see fully and it was horrible.

Third. No head tracking, or atleast VERY slow. I will try to boost the numbers in the settings and see if I can find the "right number"

anyways. Second day with Oculus. If anyone knows more or wants to work with me on this. Let me know (PM me)

OK New Year and progress. I have full 3D now, but the head control is also driving the car, so i look into turns, I also fricken over turn haha. FPS is crap, but it doesn't make it sick or anything. With bad FPS comes bad physics and sounds I found out :)
SilverTrimm

Re: First Oculus Rift Test

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:57 am

It's not a good idea to use any 3rd party software to get stereoscopic effects in a game without direct support of it.
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

Postby SilverTrimm » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:07 am

Eugene Cojocar wrote:It's not a good idea to use any 3rd party software to get stereoscopic effects in a game without direct support of it.

Downloading Vorpx right now. (Just bought it) The website list your game. We will see if this is better at doing 3D. Also the 3D is fine in the other one, the FPS on the other had is a problem. Ran fine on Arma 2 maxed flying. Any chance I could test the Ult package to see see if the 2x physics is an issue?

I wish the head tracking was some how supported. So far I can't turn my head and only pitch or tilt works. I will get this down to a profile someone can just download and use 3'ed party stuff like vorpx until you get around to putting it in first hand. Let me tell you the game that support it are 100x better then the tacked on stuff.

Should have vorpx code in the morning. Also do you want my Oculus dev info? I can change the password to something and give it too you so you can start seeing what other dev are seeing.
SilverTrimm

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:55 am

SilverTrimm wrote:Downloading Vorpx right now. (Just bought it) The website list your game. We will see if this is better at doing 3D. Also the 3D is fine in the other one, the FPS on the other had is a problem. Ran fine on Arma 2 maxed flying. Any chance I could test the Ult package to see see if the 2x physics is an issue?

I wish the head tracking was some how supported. So far I can't turn my head and only pitch or tilt works. I will get this down to a profile someone can just download and use 3'ed party stuff like vorpx until you get around to putting it in first hand. Let me tell you the game that support it are 100x better then the tacked on stuff.

Should have vorpx code in the morning. Also do you want my Oculus dev info? I can change the password to something and give it too you so you can start seeing what other dev are seeing.

I couldn't find any info abut X Motor Racing on the Vorpx.
There is no trial version for the Ultimate version. And it doesn't have any physics issues.

It seems the Oculus Rift SDK is available for free. It's enough for a start, I think.
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

First Oculus Rift Test

Postby MichaelSog » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:16 am

We need a FAQ thread... This question has been answered twice before, already.

Basically, no, Chapters will not explicitly support Oculus Rift or any other VR tech. It is built on Unity 4, which is compatible with OR out of the box, but the devs will not put any effort to make it work smoothly. Their reasoning is that VR works best in games with first-person view and DFC is third-person view only.
MichaelSog

Postby Gerhold Temuri Jojo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:14 am

Until this is available to current consumers, I'm kind of tired of hearing about how awesome it is. Release it or don't. More than two years of "hey look at this cool gadget I have and you don't" is kind of weighing.
Gerhold Temuri Jojo

Return to General