FPS Issue

Discussions about bugs, errors and tech support

Re: FPS Issue

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:55 am

I forgot to say, that the FPS depends on the car's optimization also.
So, all Roli's cars are not optimized at all.
The Nordschleife The Ring is optimized track, but the Ambushcanyon is not optimized at all.
So, we can only wait for the good optimized tracks.
Good track is a good track, no matter Shader model 3.0 or lower. But the Shader model 3.0 is slower, of course, because of 100% per-pixel lighting and real-time shadowing.
I know that some modders work on the tracks and cars, but it's very hard work. So, we must wait a little.
Btw, 8x AA is slower than 2x AA, for example, and drops the FPS down.
XMR Developer
User avatar
Eugene Cojocar
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: FPS Issue

Postby Towers » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks Eugene for your answers and patience... I'm only trying to help and to understand how the game engine works. What I don't understand is why the graphic engine load objects simply because you are pointing at them with the nose of the car and not because you are approaching them no matter if you are near or far from them... you say Nordschleife is optimized so why it drops my fps down below 20 near the start/finish buildings while with Suzuka it stays above 60 fps for all the track? I mean buildings are buildings in this or that track... Am I wrong? I'm sure there is a polycount limit for buildings and side objects in a track, so maybe this limit is overwhelmed in those tracks?

About my issue with the dark screen with the addon cars, it only appears when you are in the cockpit view... any idea?

Thanks...
User avatar
Towers
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: Italy

Re: FPS Issue

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:40 pm

Towers wrote:Thanks Eugene for your answers and patience... I'm only trying to help and to understand how the game engine works. What I don't understand is why the graphic engine load objects simply because you are pointing at them with the nose of the car and not because you are approaching them no matter if you are near or far from them... you say Nordschleife is optimized so why it drops my fps down below 20 near the start/finish buildings while with Suzuka it stays above 60 fps for all the track? I mean buildings are buildings in this or that track... Am I wrong? I'm sure there is a polycount limit for buildings and side objects in a track, so maybe this limit is overwhelmed in those tracks?

About my issue with the dark screen with the addon cars, it only appears when you are in the cockpit view... any idea?

Thanks...


I just compared the Nordshleife and Ambush canyon tracks.
The Nordshleife is much larger but its performance is much better.
The Suzuka is smaller than Nordshleife, so, it's normal that it works faster.
The fps can drop down on pointing any part of the scene if the GPU can't render that part quickly or the CPU can't do its calculation
for the GPU. That can occurs, for example, if that part contains 100,000 tiny objects like 3D gravel or pebbles.

Seems, you can see a dark screen with HDR on...
If yes, just try to tweak your HDR key for the addon car by pressing '3'.
That occurs because the cars don't contain correct default HDR keys in the car.ini file:

Code: Select all
hdrkeyoffset      -0.22
hdrkeyoffsetday      -0.22
hdrkeyoffsetsunset   -0.20
hdrkeyoffsetnight   -0.17
hdrkeyoffsetsunrise   -0.20
XMR Developer
User avatar
Eugene Cojocar
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: FPS Issue

Postby Towers » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:44 pm

Eugene Cojocar wrote:The fps can drop down on pointing any part of the scene if the GPU can't render that part quickly or the CPU can't do its calculation
for the GPU. That can occurs, for example, if that part contains 100,000 tiny objects like 3D gravel or pebbles.

Ok it shold be like this, but to me it is not... in some tracks if you point your car in the direction of the buildings (and this doesn't mean you are near those), you could be in the farest point from buildings on the track, without actually see them, and it still will drop down the fps... let's take other similar tracks, d-park and spa 2010... d-park presents the problem (it drops down about 10 fps pointing at buildings so I have 48/50 fps) while at spa only about 2 or 3 fps, and is a wider track tha d-park... Please let's meet in a server so I can to better explain what I mean ;)


Eugene Cojocar wrote:Seems, you can see a dark screen with HDR on...
If yes, just try to tweak your HDR key for the addon car by pressing '3'.
That occurs because the cars don't contain correct default HDR keys in the car.ini file:

Code: Select all
hdrkeyoffset      -0.22
hdrkeyoffsetday      -0.22
hdrkeyoffsetsunset   -0.20
hdrkeyoffsetnight   -0.17
hdrkeyoffsetsunrise   -0.20


Thanks I'll try it immediately :)
User avatar
Towers
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: Italy

Re: FPS Issue

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:53 am

Towers wrote:Ok it shold be like this, but to me it is not... in some tracks if you point your car in the direction of the buildings (and this doesn't mean you are near those), you could be in the farest point from buildings on the track, without actually see them, and it still will drop down the fps... let's take other similar tracks, d-park and spa 2010... d-park presents the problem (it drops down about 10 fps pointing at buildings so I have 48/50 fps) while at spa only about 2 or 3 fps, and is a wider track tha d-park... Please let's meet in a server so I can to better explain what I mean ;)


Let's meet online any time is convenient for you.
Today, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow etc at 17.00 or 18.00 UTC.
XMR Developer
User avatar
Eugene Cojocar
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: FPS Issue

Postby Towers » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:27 pm

Eugene Cojocar wrote:Let's meet online any time is convenient for you.
Today, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow etc at 17.00 or 18.00 UTC.


Ok I'm usually online at 20.30 UTC if it is ok for you tonight we could meet... One thing, is there the possibility to chat once on the track? If not we could join TeamSpeak, I'll send you a free server address ;)

In the meanwhile I discovered another thing fps related... I run fraps before start playing xmr and I found the fps are always 62/63 no metter you are in the menu or on the track... second, the only thing tha let fps drop down is the reflection parameter, if I set the only reflection parameter to 1 I can run all maxed out with or without AA, 2x or 8x, I still get always 62 fps it never goes beyond... is it normal? It seems to have a sort of v-sync always enabled, but looking in the video settings it isn't...

Let me know about tonight :mrgreen:
User avatar
Towers
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: Italy

Re: FPS Issue

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:04 pm

Towers wrote:Ok I'm usually online at 20.30 UTC if it is ok for you tonight we could meet... One thing, is there the possibility to chat once on the track? If not we could join TeamSpeak, I'll send you a free server address ;)

In the meanwhile I discovered another thing fps related... I run fraps before start playing xmr and I found the fps are always 62/63 no metter you are in the menu or on the track... second, the only thing tha let fps drop down is the reflection parameter, if I set the only reflection parameter to 1 I can run all maxed out with or without AA, 2x or 8x, I still get always 62 fps it never goes beyond... is it normal? It seems to have a sort of v-sync always enabled, but looking in the video settings it isn't...

Let me know about tonight :mrgreen:


20.30 UTC tonight is ok for me.
The game has an online chat. Just press the 'T'.
Please adjust your setting to get the max performance and guarantee 50-60 fps to enjoy online .


Upd.
Fraps limits FPS at a fixed value on recording a video.
Reflection influences on the performance very much, because it requires extra 6 rendering passes of the scene for an external cubemap texture + 6 rendering passes of the cockpit for a cockpit cubemap texture + 1 rendering pass of the scene and all cars for a rear-view reflection.
So, yes, it's normal.
XMR Developer
User avatar
Eugene Cojocar
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: FPS Issue

Postby Towers » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:47 pm

Eugene Cojocar wrote:Upd.
Fraps limits FPS at a fixed value on recording a video.


I forgot to specify without recording, it shows the same if I let the game itself shows fps (setting from the menu)... I notice this because fraps starts to show fps when you start the game while the game itself feature shows the fps only when you are on the track and start driving...

ok btw see you later :D
User avatar
Towers
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: Italy

Re: FPS Issue

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Towers wrote:I forgot to specify without recording, it shows the same if I let the game itself shows fps (setting from the menu)... I notice this because fraps starts to show fps when you start the game while the game itself feature shows the fps only when you are on the track and start driving...

ok btw see you later :D


As far I know, fraps shouldn't limit the FPS when recording is off. Frankly, I don't know what's the matter in this case.
See you on the ProServer#1 Netherlands.
XMR Developer
User avatar
Eugene Cojocar
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: FPS Issue

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:28 pm

I'm on the Server#1...
XMR Developer
User avatar
Eugene Cojocar
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support & Bug reports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron