Oculus Rift Direct Support

General discussion, news and update announcements

Oculus Rift Direct Support

Postby SilverTrimm » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:27 am

Any plans on supporting the Oculus or do you intend on third party software like VorpX convert it for you?

New to X Motor Racing and plan on investing a lot of time into it; with my Oculus if possible (arrives Monday)

Does this sim support head tracking and if so could I get info related to it. I can see you have TrackIR support but I am not sure if that is the same thing as full Oculus support.

-Love the demo and plan on buying full version once I know the Oculus will be supported in some fashion. Would love to see some older American Muscle cars!

v/r

Keith Trimm
SilverTrimm

Re: Oculus Rift Direct Support

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:50 am

Hello Keith,

I don't have any plans regarding Oculus Rift support. Never thought about that.

Yes, this sim supports head tracking. Also I can extend head tracking support via SDK.
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

Postby SilverTrimm » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:04 am

Eugene Cojocar wrote:Hello Keith,

I don't have any plans regarding Oculus Rift support. Never thought about that.

Yes, this sim supports head tracking. Also I can extend head tracking support via SDK.

What could I do to interest you into looking into support for this item? Head mounted displays are going to be a big part of sim racing in the future. From what the developers of Iracing and others have said, supporting the Oculus was easy since they already supported TrackIR.

On the upside, Oculus developer kits are shipping within 3 days.

You should look into it; being able to have Oculus support on Day 1 of the commercial release will set your sim far apart from others. As a consumer I don't want to deal with side software and what not. (VorpX) The ability to have the game displayed in the correct way would be amazing. Identify all monitors, and force the picture to the Oculus in the correct resolution. Being able to change output settings easy as changing resolutions now. Also I feel it would need to be supported by you; making adjustments to the UI out of game would be critical. FOV around 110' to match the Oculus FOV.

If you do look into this, I would love to find out what you found out. I enjoy the sim very much and look forward to more updates on your excellent work. v/r
SilverTrimm

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:39 am

Ok, I agree to try adding Oculus Rift Support if 15 people with any XMR license above than demo ask for that.
So far, none of them use Oculus Rift, I guess.
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

Postby SilverTrimm » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:03 am

-removed
Last edited by SilverTrimm on Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverTrimm

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:25 am

It all sounds very interesting, but please try to understand me that I must think twice before making any steps.
Because my resources are very limited.
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

Postby SilverTrimm » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:30 am

Eugene Cojocar wrote:It all sounds very interesting, but please try to understand me that I must think twice before making any steps.
Because my resources are very limited.

I understand, keep up the great work and hope more people feel the same way I do regarding the Oculus.
SilverTrimm

Postby Towers » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Hey guys,
I'm not a Oculus owner yet but I think supporting this kind of stuff means to project the sim to the future... think, at that price OR is going to be an awesome "gadget" to play with, and for sure as a (good) side effect it will certainly attract more people here... As far as I understood the xmr team is a small one, but you are already doing something other "famous" sim doesn't... so why not?

Keep up the great work!

Fabry
Towers

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:54 am

I had a look at the Oculus Rift documentation and found out that it requires stereoscopic rendering.
At first the graphics engine must render a scene for the left part, then for the right one.
In other words double rendering may cause reduction of performance. It depends on the resolution.
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

Postby SilverTrimm » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:23 am

Eugene Cojocar wrote:I had a look at the Oculus Rift documentation and found out that it requires stereoscopic rendering.
At first the graphics engine must render a scene for the left part, then for the right one.
In other words double rendering may cause reduction of performance. It depends on the resolution.

X Motor Racing = 60 FPS with vsync on, that's the Oculus goal.
SilverTrimm

Next

Return to General