Some questions regarding XRM

General discussion, news and update announcements

Some questions regarding XRM

Postby Sakaida Soujiro » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about buying a license for XMR, but I can't decide wich one to take. I'm thinking about the Pro or even Buisness license at the time, since I'm interessted in modding the game, creating tracks, cars and setups - and maybe even help working on the source code (if possible).
So my first question is: where are the exact differences between the Pro and Buisness license? What can I do with the Buisness license that I can't do with the Pro?
Next thing I'd like to know: How are the mods dealt with?
I've been playing a lot of games, modded a few of them, but on almost every game there's a different system to distribute modifications to other players. When I started modding games based on the q3-Engine there were pk3 files, wich were loaded dynamically into the game - but you had to get the pk3 on your own (load it from a http-server or ftp). On Trackmania on the other hand the game distributed all the modifications automatically to the users, so there was no need to get anything by yourself. How does XMR handle the mods?
Since every modder is able to create/modify car setups I think it's very hard to compare driving skills to each other. I've played the demo a few times now and I tried it online on the demo server as well. According to what I've seen the user uploads his setup to the server in some way. Is it possible to make restrictions to the setups (for example a power-limit) to avoid other players getting a big advantage in comparison to the others, or how does this work?

I think that's enough for my first post. I'd really love if someone took the time to answer my questions (thank you in advance!).
Also I'd like to know what you think about touge drifting (or mountain drifting) since I'd love to influence XMR in this way, but I since I've made some bad experiences when it comes to drifting in other communitys (LFS for example) and I don't feel like disturbing your peace here ;)

Best regards!
Souji
Sakaida Soujiro

Re: Some questions regarding XRM

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Hello Souji,

The Business license is intended of R&D, commercial purposes, government environment etc. The Pro license is intended for personal use generally. They have the same functionality at present.
But I’m going to add more physics simulation precision and most advanced SDK to the Business license with next update. That can help in R&D.

At present you can create mods as with both Pro and Business licenses.

All mods can be downloaded manually and copied to the game folder.
I’m thinking about setup’s restriction but not implemented it yet. Online races are not popular anyway.

I’m not good at drifting. But I think it’s possible to create drifting setups without any problems.
You can try this drifting mod also:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=228
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

Postby ply » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:33 am

Eugene Cojocar wrote:But I’m going to add more physics simulation precision and most advanced SDK to the Business license with next update. That can help in R&D.

It's not very obvious move and not fair to current customers if more simulation precision will be available only in R&D version. Now version differentiation is very clear: if you want modding and more realistic game, you should go Pro. If you also going to make money on this (business), or if you going to get PhD and scientific publications using XMR software (research), you should go next level and buy Business version. Real enthusiasts of sims can access full functionality using Pro version. And only professionals making money or fame requires Business version. If you make change you are talking about, everybody should buy Bussiness version, even hobbyist who spend its own time on modding and get nothing for it.
ply

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 pm

That's just a plan. The final decision hasn't been made yet.
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

Postby Sakaida Soujiro » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:50 am

I have tried the multiplayer with a friend a few days ago. I've come to the conclustion, that as long as the multiplayer is not improved significantly we can't use XMR for our modding project. The singleplayer is great, but I'm more focused on the multiplayer, wich feels pretty laggy and has a lot of bugs at the time. I'll be back in some time to check on this again.

Best regards
Souji
Sakaida Soujiro

Return to General