[REQUEST] Nordschleife version with better road mesh

Additional tracks, addons etc

Re: [REQUEST] Nordschleife version with better road mesh

Postby pleclair » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:52 am

Here, better, a video :)

Last edited by pleclair on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pleclair

Postby xmotoracer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:55 am

pleclair wrote:Here, better, a video :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlsXE-g_edw[/youtube]

amazing work.........looks great
xmotoracer

Postby pleclair » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:58 am

Thank you :)

After seeing a couple of tracks (well, d-park, blackwood and the current nord), I'm confident we can do something pretty decent with this.

I'm curious to play with the botany stuff, it looks pretty interesting!
pleclair

Postby xmotoracer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:01 pm

pleclair wrote:Thank you :)

After seeing a couple of tracks (well, d-park, blackwood and the current nord), I'm confident we can do something pretty decent with this.

I'm curious to play with the botany stuff, it looks pretty interesting!

blackwood is the benchmark i'd say atm....the conversion done for xmr version was first class...
xmotoracer

Postby pleclair » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:37 pm

I have to agree with you, it does look pretty darn awesome!

I have played LFS for so many years, it was my first real sim, and I have played this on and off for many years. And this was my favorite track.

And this is by far the best version I've seen. (I also tried the rf version)

The default track aint bad either actually. I guess its an imaginary circuit? Or is it a copy of a real track?

After seeing some tracks tho, one thing worries me... the groove texture, as we see in d-park and blackwood, that's overlayed on top of the road, we see the repetition because of the fadeout that happens on one extremity. It often looks as a dip when you see it quick, and you expect a ffb change, but nothing happens.

Is there a way to do them otherwise? Like map the faded out texture only on the extremities of the groove object? And on the inside, it would be a groove texture with no fadeout? It would look so much better?

Cause I can't see myself using this solution for Nord. I would rather go grooveless in this case...

Does the engine supports decals? Cause it seems the groove is placed quite a bit above the tarmac, althought I haven't stopped and moved the camera around, it was the impression I had when driving.. they looked a bit high to me?
pleclair

Postby Kahn62 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:44 pm

Blackwood is imaginary. It makes you wonder why they messed up the pit lane exit that badly though. It should enter the track just after the the start finish area, or straight onto the back-straight would be my pick for accident prevention. My two cents worth anyway. Nord track road surface there looks great. WD.
Last edited by Kahn62 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kahn62

Postby pleclair » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:59 pm

Kahn62 wrote:Blackwood is imaginary. It makes you wonder why they messed up the pit lane exit that badly though. It should enter the track just after the the start finish area, or straight onto the back-straight would be my pick for accident prevention. My two cents worth anyway. Nord track road surface there looks great. WD.

PS. pleclair, when posting YouTube vids, you only need the "RlsXE-g_edw" part of the name, "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlsXE-g_edw" inside the YouTube brackets, not the full link.

Thanks for the youtube tips... every forums is different :)

Regarding the road mesh, and work done to the track as a whole, here is a short list:

The road mesh have been merged as one object and all work have been done on this object. I have mesh smoothed it, as well as tessellated it. I first went with 2x mesh smooth, but the result was too smooth in rf2. It was feeling like driving on glass...

Working with the track as a whole allowed me to smooth out all corners, including those that were previously splitted into 2 or more objects. If I had not joined them together, odd kinks would have happened.

The whole terrain have been smoothed by hand as well. I couldn't use any mesh smooth, so I have done it by redoing most of the geometry and lots of flow connects. So all the landscape is smooth, and no 45 degrees edges remains no more. Even the far landscape is smoothed. Less than the close, since it doesnt need to be.

Most textures have been replaced by HD textures. Most are 2048 in size. And all assets have been bought and licensed. Nothing comes from another game or track. (grass, road, trees, guardrails, fences, metal textures, wood textures, pavement, concrete and so on...)

The paddock area (the area we used to start in rf2... too bad it wont be used in xmr tho..) have been all redone. Except for the buildings.

Smoothed all guardrails and fences.

And a lot more. Hard to tell it is the com8 version other than by the obvious track layout.

Any plans to have sessions that starts at the paddock area in xmr?

The hot laps isnt quite what I look for... First, you need to wait to go, and the car isnt auto braked.. so you start moving right away if the road is inclined, and get a penalty...

I'd like a real hot lap session that starts at the paddock or pits depending on track, and you drive unto track, and lap times starts after the first lap, or in the case like nord, after passing a specific gate. (The gate close to the isle in rf2 started the timer as soon as you crossed finish, so you had a timed first lap)

Plus the hot laps has a set fixed lap... it feels more like a solo race.
pleclair

Postby andy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi pleclair, any news on the Nords conversion?
andy

Postby Descoat » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Really good news if pleclair is planning convert rf2 nordschleife to XMR.
This game needs some more tracks with enough quality because physics are superb. I agree him the rf2 version and will agree this new project. Please keep us with fresh news, Pleclair.
Descoat

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:22 am

pleclair is working on conversion for AC at the moment.
http://nordschleifeproject.blogspot.ca/

But he sent me all files. I'm waiting for the 64-bit rF2 tools to open the track on my PC. Seems it's not possible to open the track with the 32-bit rF2 tools because it's a huge track.
So, I hope to convert it once.
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

PreviousNext

Return to Tracks