[REQUEST] Nordschleife version with better road mesh

Additional tracks, addons etc

[REQUEST] Nordschleife version with better road mesh

Postby andy » Wed May 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Hi everybody,

The current Nord looks good, it has been improved since first release, but imo the road surface is not that good, too low resolution, the bumps feel too unnatural in many places.

Now, there are many options that could be considered, like asking permission to convert the rfactor 2 version of pleclair, or the GTR evo one, but not many chances on the latter. So any talented modder, around, and with spare time? ;)
andy

Re: [REQUEST] Nordschleife version with better road mesh

Postby Adrian » Thu May 29, 2014 11:17 am

It sounds interesting to everyone.
Adrian

Postby pleclair » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Hey guys,

As some of you might know, I'm making the rF2 conversion of Nordschleife.

Recently, someone asked me in my thread over there what I was thinking of XMR. I wasn't even aware of it, so I have given it a try.

To tell truth, the demo didnt quite impressed me. I wasn't deceived either, but as I race mostly on Nord since I started the project, can't seem to find enjoyment with tracks with so many hairpins, and never reaching last gear, or once or twice per lap...

But he assured me it was better with other tracks/cars...

So I have asked Eugene if he could grant me a license to XMR so I could convert Nordschleife to XMR.

I like to support small companies, and I have liked my work with rF2 a lot. However, since my 1.50 update over there, when I extruded the kerbstones, many people complained, saying it ruined immersion... I cant see exactly how it can do so, specially when these existed at some point in time. They are much shorter now, but anyway.

And after the 1.60 and 1.65 update, people seems to have become uninterested, and I don't really want to put in 10-12hrs per day for only a few interested people.

I've been watching the thread since my last update every now and then everyday, and comments have been slim.. so I guess it's time for me to move on.

I would have wished to end the project, as I would like to start working on a more accurate from scratch version later on, if I still can put in as much time as I can now. I'm unemployed.

So I'll be converting the version I have made for rF2 to XMR, and might continue the development for XMR only. Will see how it goes. It will likely be hard anyway to develop for both at once since the creation seems to be a bit different.

If you don't know me from over there, please know I'm not a modder, a modeler or an artist. I love racing sims, racing, car, drifting, rallying whatever involving cars, and after discovering the nordschleife, I can't seem to find any other track I wish to lap on. So I got interested in this when GMT got their conversion cancelled by Simbin.

So you can expect to drive this version "soon".. hard to tell any time frame now, but I'll do my best, as usual.
pleclair

Postby Adrian » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:54 pm

Great news! Glad to have you on forum!
Adrian

Postby John » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:38 pm

Awesome, thats VERY good news indeed :D
John
John

Postby pleclair » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks!

I believe it was you who spoke about XMR to me, could it be?

Well, I am happy to have discovered XMR. I havent played with it much yet, as I'm already gathering infos about how to start my work, but I have tried one of the car in the full version, and it was a lot more interesting to drive.

I can't wait to spend more time learning the in and out of this intriguing software.

It is very good indeed, and I'm happy to have found it! The XMR Editor also seems to have a lot of nice features, can't wait to get started.

I'm waiting on an answer from Eugene on the basic steps to get started. I'm not sure how to apply the track creation guide to a conversion.

I'll keep you updated on the progress as usual :)
pleclair

Postby andy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Welcome pleclair,

I'm very happy you turned to XMR to share your work here, can't wait to try out the conversion, even kerbs included ;)

I have to warn you though, there will be even less reaction here than on the rf2 forum, because the XMR community is much smaller, but quite open and friendly, including the developer.

You should't be disappointed about rf2, heck, you have one of the longest threads there. The simracing community is quite small actually, and with all the titles on the market, simracers go round and round filling up a place while emptying another.

Anyways, even if this means stopping you deliver the goodies, I wish you find the perfect job for you.
andy

Postby barkus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:04 pm

Sounds promising. Can't wait to check it out properly!
barkus

Postby pleclair » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:22 pm

andy wrote:Welcome pleclair,

I'm very happy you turned to XMR to share your work here, can't wait to try out the conversion, even kerbs included ;)

I have to warn you though, there will be even less reaction here than on the rf2 forum, because the XMR community is much smaller, but quite open and friendly, including the developer.

You should't be disappointed about rf2, heck, you have one of the longest threads there. The simracing community is quite small actually, and with all the titles on the market, simracers go round and round filling up a place while emptying another.

Anyways, even if this means stopping you deliver the goodies, I wish you find the perfect job for you.

Indeed, I am as well.

Again, maybe I did not expressed myself as I wished on the ISI forums, I wasn't complaining only about the lack of reactions in the past few days. The only complaints I got were (still) the kerbstones, even tho I mentioned X times that I would lower them in due time. At least with XMR' I can start work straight up in 64 bit... that's a relief.

But after seeing many says they prefer 0.97n, even if the landscape has 10 polygons, I dunno what else I can do more for them..

What mattered was not the posts counts, but the feedback I was getting... except again for the kerbstones, no one told me anything for the 1.65 update, either they liked it, or prefered 0.97n... I cant make 1.65 look like 0.97n anymore, anyway, what would be the point? It's already done...

Another thing, since I came back in April, there was no one beside Uwe, from ISI, that said something again in my thread. Previously, a few people were posting... I dunno, it might be me that's expecting a lot from myself, and in turn from others, but when someone do something for free for you, even if you did not asked him, a little recognition goes a long way I think. I don't think ISI ever recognized what I did for them. Or I did not see it? A welcome back post from tim, or from mianiak, or something would have been nice when I returned... but I never heard from them... it hurted...

Like I said, I'm not doing this for money, for donations... but rather for appreciation. Everyone likes to feel appreciated, and in my life, I dont get that feeling as much as I would like to. So I'm happy to share my passion with people that care.

Eugene replied me within few hours of my initial email, and has been most helpful and given that he is alone, or working with a fraction of the already small ISI team, let alone teams like SMS, etc..

I never wanted to work for a large company myself. Become a number and never have any appreciation shown. I've always worked for little companies, two of them I was alone with my boss, and this is what I liked. So that's about it... I can overeact at times, and be oversensitive, but you don't really choose how you end up, do you? :)

I would also be proud that Eugene sees a difference as well from having this version of Nord. He will likely get more coverage from simracing website, and that can only be a good thing, I think? Cause XMR is relatively hidden, I wasn't aware at all of it.

Even in the FAQ it is acknowledged :)

Eugene is nice enough to make me a little tutorial on how to convert a track from rfactor, so I'll be able to start right tomorrow! I'll enjoy the game a little until then, get familiar with the quazillions options!

I think we should be able to get something pretty decent out of the XMR version :)
pleclair

Postby xmotoracer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:05 am

hi

first off welcome....

second.....i agree with andy...the XMR community is much smaller..

third....start a new post for this track & post a video or screenies to show it in rfactor to give people like me who haven't seen it an idea what it's like......

you aren't going to get a lot of posts here thanking & gushing over your work...thats a fact on many forums.....

i appreciate the amount of time & work put into making tracks .......

for me it's an interest i carried over from grand prix 4....

not everyone is going to like your work.....could be as simple as they don't like the track end of.....

as long as you enjoy doing the work to re create the track to the best of your skills thats all that counts....

ignore the stupid remarks such as the kerb in my opinion on turn one looks like it's a little too high or long etc....

everyones an expert it seems.......

we aren't laser scanners & we can only do our best.....

as a mate of mine once said about this......you've seen the screenies & videos......

your welcome to download it....it's free.....

if you don't like it.....uninstall it....or build it yourself...............end of...............

once again............welcome & looking forward to seeing your new wip post & screenies etc.....
xmotoracer

Next

Return to Tracks