AMG Mercedes C-Class DTM@Homestead-Miami Speedway

Post your in-game screenshots and videos here

AMG Mercedes C-Class DTM@Homestead-Miami Speedway

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Mon May 19, 2014 8:28 am

I used Bandicam to capture the video, VirtualDub to cut it off and After Effects to overlap layers and final rendering.

The idea of overlapped videos had been stolen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdYalw-eiGQ
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

Re: AMG Mercedes C-Class DTM@Homestead-Miami Speedway

Postby sever 43 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:46 am

:D cool video
sever 43

Postby pik » Mon May 19, 2014 9:24 am

I concur, nice video!
pik

Postby Kahn62 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:38 am

I like the small screen when it shows the view looking from in front of you, and back at the scene behind you. it would make it easy then to see cars from behind you that want to overtake or just follow you without having to rely on the mirrors to see them. It would make passing a much safer option. I would like it to be a little bit smaller though, but it would be fine as it is too. Will this become a regular XMR feature Eugene?
Kahn62

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Mon May 19, 2014 11:51 am

Kahn62 wrote:I like the small screen when it shows the view looking from in front of you, and back at the scene behind you. it would make it easy then to see cars from behind you that want to overtake or just follow you without having to rely on the mirrors to see them. It would make passing a much safer option. I would like it to be a little bit smaller though, but it would be fine as it is too. Will this become a regular XMR feature Eugene?

It's possible to implement but this feature in-game drops down FPS. It requires additional rendering pass.
In the video I used the same replay to capture two videos (with internal and external views) and overlapped one video to another.
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

Postby MSpeed » Mon May 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Looks interesting. I really like the DTM Class.
Thanks for sharing.
MSpeed

Postby Kahn62 » Fri May 23, 2014 4:21 am

Eugene Cojocar wrote:It's possible to implement but this feature in-game drops down FPS. It requires additional rendering pass.
In the video I used the same replay to capture two videos (with internal and external views) and overlapped one video to another.

I seem to have more FPS than I need to make it look smooth, which is only twenty five frames as I understand these things, so I can afford to drop a few frames if needed to implement this. How many FPS are we talking about Eugene? What would be the drop from sixty three FPS for instance?
Kahn62

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Fri May 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Kahn62 wrote:I seem to have more FPS than I need to make it look smooth, which is only twenty five frames as I understand these things, so I can afford to drop a few frames if needed to implement this. How many FPS are we talking about Eugene? What would be the drop from sixty three FPS for instance?

It depends on many factors. Roughly, rendering of each view is equal to rendering rear view mirror at max quality.
For example, rendering rear view mirror costs me 5 FPS (initial FPS = 100) at Donington Park with one car only. So, rendering additional couple of views can cost 10-12 FPS (10-12 percent) if initial FPS = 100. This is a very rough estimate.
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

Postby Kahn62 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:57 am

The nVidea cards seem to be set up differently. I have found that in some games, Dirt 3 for example, that I only get about eighty FPS where other cards will output more than two hundred FPS when displaying the same scene with the same detail level, but my eighty FPS seems to be more consistent. My video card will vary from eighty to eighty five FPS, where people with other cards will go from fifty to two hundred and fifty, mainly staying above two hundred, depending on the complexity of the scene/traffic. I do not think it would be bad to lose five FPS anyway as it still looks fine, at as low as thirty FPS, when I limit it. I think it would be a great idea to include this as an option in XMR, as I have played many other driving games and the ability to clearly tell what the traffic behind you is doing is very limited, making it hard to get into or out of their way effectively. Some people get around this by driving in behind car view, but I don't like that as I seem to "feel" the vehicle better from in car view, or even the bonnet view.
Kahn62

Postby Eugene Cojocar » Sat May 24, 2014 4:31 pm

I thought about another feature that looks interesting for me. Adding network communication between several computers to allow them be as spectators with their own camera/view.

For example:
1st PC is a main station with input device and running XMR.
2nd PC is connected to the 1st PC and runs a copy of XMR without input device. It renders the game from another camera (external view #1).
3nd PC is connected to the 1st PC and runs a copy of XMR without input device. external view #2.
etc.
XMR Developer
Eugene Cojocar

Next

Return to Screenshots & Videos